Managed Google Cloud database migration services from IT Svit
Google Cloud Platform is one of the top-3 cloud service providers worldwide, and many businesses decide to move their IT operations there. This is why Google database migration services are quite often requested, and IT Svit has ample experience in delivering them. Be it a database migration process from on-prem SQL server to a Google Cloud SQL database instance, or migration from Amazon RDS to a Google cloud database — we’ve got you covered!
Google cloud database migration consulting
While the migration process between the source database and the target database is crucial for many types of IT projects, it is not an easy feat to accomplish. In order to select the best approach and execute the database migration flawlessly, you’d need a diligent database migration consulting from an experienced Managed Services Provider, like IT Svit. We can develop a roadmap and milestones for your database migration from any on-prem or cloud platform to Google cloud.
Lift-and-shift or migrate-and-upgrade database migrations for your business
There are multiple variants of database migration approaches. Sometimes standard tools will do, but sometimes, one needs a bespoke approach — like when a business must swap the databases and update them to the latest versions to ensure security and cross-compatibility. IT Svit has ample expertise with such transitions and can help select the best approach for your case.
Any kind of Google database migration service for your business!
Google Cloud Platform is one of the most popular cloud service providers worldwide and many companies want to migrate their workloads to it or start their new projects there. However, in many cases, such a transition requires a database migration to Google cloud, and moving huge volumes of data from the source to the target database is a very resource-costly endeavor. This is why the companies willing to execute a cloud database migration search for consulting first.
The point is, there are multiple parameters that affect the very possibility of database migration or its roadmap. For example. if you wish to migrate your database instance from Amazon Web Services to Google Cloud Platform, you can utilize AWS Database Migration Service and Google Database Migration Service tools. These services cover a wide range of databases:
- Cloud Spanner
- Cloud SQL
- Cloud Bigtable
- Cloud Firestore
- Firebase Realtime Database
- Cloud Memorystore
These Google-based databases can fully or partially comply with the source databases used in your project. If the compliance is full, the migration will be as simple as creating a source database dump, uploading it to a target database instance and restoring it to a new database.
But if your project uses an outdated database version and relies on some features that were later deprecated, database migration to GCP can cause significant backward compatibility problems. There are several variants of dealing with this challenge:
- updating the database on-prem to the latest version available. Sometimes, the updated database then becomes compatible with the cloud-based counterparts and can be migrated with a simple dump/restore.
- moving all the available data through dump/restore and filling in the gaps. Sometimes the database has to be replaced from scratch. In this case, a team of Database administrators must prepare the Python scripts that will check the consistency of the target database after migration and help copy the remaining data manually.
The second approach is the hardest one, as there are no ready scenarios for such cases. Each project of this kind is unique and the only way to ensure success is to employ a team of skilled DBAs, who will be able to execute such a process successfully.
Google database migration consulting services
Therefore, before even considering performing a Google database migration, a business must have a clear understanding of what data they will be able to migrate, how long will it take and how much will it cost. Such a type of database migration consulting can be received from several sources:
- Google-verified database migration partners and providers. There are quite a lot of companies that engage in such projects, with the full list available at the GCP website. This is a reliable approach with a single downside — Google migration partners will use GCP-specific tools, which can potentially lead to vendor lock-in. To avoid this, you should specifically request them to replace certain Google-native services and tools with their open-source counterparts — which is nigh impossible, if you don’t have the expertise of successful database migrations yourself.
- Managed Services Providers with ample experience in database migrations. These IT outsourcing companies provide end-to-end solutions, not only delivering the required Google database migration services but also designing and implementing the needed cloud infrastructure to run your project. What is most important, this infrastructure will include only the absolutely necessary Google-specific components and the rest will be built using open-source cloud-native analogs.
Thus said, IT Svit is one of the top-10 Managed Services Providers worldwide and we have ample experience with database migration from and to Google Cloud Platform:
- Migrate MySQL RDBMS from AWS EC2 to Google Compute Engine
- Migrate MySQL RDBMS from AWS EC2 to Google CloudSQL
- Migrate MySQL RDBMS from AWS RDS to Google Compute Engine
- Migrate MySQL RDBMS from AWS RDS to Google CloudSQL
- Migrate MySQL RDBMS from on-premise to Google Compute Engine
- Migrate MySQL RDBMS from on-premise to Google CloudSQL
- Migrate MySQL RDBMS from AWS RDS, AWS EC2, on-premise, Google Compute Engine, Google CloudSQL to Percona XtraDB Cluster
We also work with many other SQL and NoSQL databases:
- Mongo DB
- Maria DB
Thus said, we are able to assess the state of your infrastructure, propose the approach to database migration, create a roadmap and deliver the end-to-end solution for your business.
Lifting and shifting or upgrading your databases
As we said above, there are multiple approaches to database migration to Google Cloud Platform. When the databases are compatible, we ensure the destination cloud infrastructure is reliable and scalable, and simply lift-and-shift your data. When only the versions of the source and the target database differ, upgrading can be enough to move to a new database instance. However, most of the time, we have to develop and implement bespoke database solutions in order to secure the data and ensure the continuity of workflows.
This is where IT Svit excels, as more than 5 years of experience and more than 200 successfully accomplished projects ensure our ability to meet database migration requirements for our customers and exceed their expectations. If you need our help with Google Cloud database migration — contact us today, we are ready to assist!